[nsp] GE aggregation for last mile Ethernet

Pete Kruckenberg pete at kruckenberg.com
Wed Jun 25 20:50:30 EDT 2003

My bad for responding with a non-Cisco solution on the Cisco
list.

I had breakfast with my local Foundry SE, who described how
he had deployed a GE solution in a 7000-home planned
neighborhood network, that I think is one of the most
elegant I've seen.

Cisco may have a solution like this, I haven't looked yet.

I'll do my best to describe it. If you're interested in more
detail, I'd be happy to get you in contact with him.

Foundry has "VLAN groups" which allow one to apply certain
policies and features on a multi-VLAN level. Basically, a
tagged/trunk link can be treated in certain wais as if it
was a single VLAN.

One feature that can be applied to a VLAN group is "ip
follow-me" or something like that (I was eating, didn't take
written notes). As far as I can tell, the "ip follow-me" me
feature is like a simple virtual router, based on proxy ARP.
It can be enabled per-VLAN, within the VLAN group. This has
an added bonus of serious address space conservation (ie one
host address per CPE port, instead of one subnet per port).

So, the way this architecture works is this. Put Cisco
3550's (could be any Layer2 switch) in the neighborhoods,
with each last-mile connection on it's own VLAN.
Trunk/tagged port from the 3550 to a Foundry core switch
(BigIron or so). Every 3550 has the *exact same*
configuration, except for the management IP address (this is
a big bonus for operational simplicity). The 3550's also use
very basic features, so less likelihood of software
failures.

The Foundry switches use VLAN groups and ip follow-me to
enable Layer3 features between the last-mile connections (on
a per-customer basis).  The Foundry switches also handle
rate-limiting, QoS, accounting, etc. (All at line-rate, he
says).

Scales to 32,000 VLANs.

I would guess this could probably be extended to support
redundancy (FSRP/VRRP-wise).

Sounds pretty cool, inexpensive, simple to manage/operate,
and scalable. Is there any way to do this with Cisco?

Pete.