[nsp] Cisco 827 Real World VPN

Cisco Geek Rotation cisco at peakpeak.com
Thu Jun 26 07:32:27 EDT 2003

I have a customer that wants to put a 827 in their office for their main
office router and firewall, and they want to tunnel to it from their homes
using the Cisco software VPN clients.

Client 1 ------  827 Router ----- Office Private LAN 192.168.1.0/24

Client 2 ----------------

etc.

I don't believe they ever tunneled more than 3 clients at a time.

Up to this date, I've always done this using Netscreen software clients and
Netscreen firewalls.  This customer requires a Cisco solution (their
requirement).

The customer was previously using a Netopia router to handle the VPN
tunneling chores, and apparently they encountered poor
performance.  Apparently Netopia makes a VPN accelerator card to make the
performance better but they never tried that.

So my questions are:

1. What software do I have to buy from Cisco for the software client?
2. Are they likely to encounter the same performance problems they had with
the Netopia?

Any other hints on how to make this hassle free are welcome also.

Thanks,
Chris