[nsp] High CPU utilization from traffic with no destination i nterface?

rpcbind at speakeasy.net rpcbind at speakeasy.net
Thu Jun 26 12:49:46 EDT 2003

Ejay made the point that I overlooked -- make sure that you have 'no ip
unreach' on the ingress interface, otherwise you'll end up generating a pile
of icmp (though IIRC, this is ratelimited).

> There is no null interface because there's nothing statically routed that
> way for it...

There is, irregardless of whether you configured it, ie:

sw-core3>show ip cef 70.12.0.0
0.0.0.0/0, version 371298, epoch 0, attached
0 packets, 0 bytes
  via Null0, 0 dependencies
    valid null adjacency

> Yup, I am running CEF...
>
> Show int switching shows that it's all being process switched.

This is inevitably the true root of your problem -- if CEF is enabled
globally, and you don't have a 'no ip route-cache cef' on the interface, then
'sho ip int' should reveal something nasty that's forcing process switching.

Which platform and what type of interfaces are you seeing this on? If
everything's being processed switched, then your baseline CPU is going to be
much higher than if should be.