[nsp] dsl/dhcp question

Charles Sprickman spork at inch.com
Sat Jun 28 17:05:16 EDT 2003

Hello,

I don't think the BBA list is big enough yet, so I thought I'd ask here.

Some time ago when I first started looking at moving everyone from IRB to
RBE, I could have sworn I found a doc on CCO that had some nifty tricks
with RBE and DHCP.  Namely, that each user/subinterface could be tied to a
particular IP address.  ie: if a dhcp request came in on "atm 2/0.1999",
the dhcp server would always try to give out the same fixed IP.

Did I imagine that?  I'm knee-deep in CCO and not seeing it.

The goal is to auto-configure people who want static addresses without
knowing their mac address in advance.

Anyone doing something similar and willing to share?  It looks like this
"option 82" thing can tell an external dhcp server something about where
the request came from, but I'm not sure which dhcp server support this.

Thanks,

Charles

--
Charles Sprickman