[nsp] Re: Newbie Cisco upgrade question, apologies in advance

Andrew W. Smith awsmith at starbase.starbaseunix.org
Sun Jun 29 02:26:14 EDT 2003

On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 12:54:53AM -0400, Mary Grace wrote:
> This message was posted originally on the isp-bgp list, and I was told that
> it should have been posted on cisco-nsp if I really wanted advice on Cisco
> equipment for this application.  Please, forgive me if this is not
> appropriate, but I hope that you will consider it appropriate!
> *******************************
> Thank you most graciously for the incredible knowledge that God has given
> you, and to everyone that has responded so generously to this message that
> we posted this past week, regarding routers for T3 circuits!
>
> I am thankful to you all for sharing your knowledge in response to such a
> newbie question that I was almost ashamed to ask of you.
>
> Since the last email, Mother Superior has talked to our generous
> contributor from the company who is a T3 circuit provider, and explained
> this list's advice regarding how it was such a "mismatch between a T3 in
> one port and a T1 in the other" and how BGP isn't really designed to
> perform well in a multi-homed situation with such a large difference in
> bandwidth between the two ports.
>
> Thanks to your advice, and the wisdom of our MS, the provider has agreed to
> donate to our small teaching seminary and convent TWO DS3/T3 45 Mb/s
> point-to-point HDLC circuits, homed into two different exchange points in
> two different major cities (NAPs).
>
> So, is it still true that we do not need anything more powerful than a 4500
> or 4700 to run this system?  I believe that is true if we take default
> routes advertised by the upstream on both sides, and the two diverse-path
> circuits ARE being advertised out of the same upstream AS, but is it still
> true if we were nuts enough to want to take full routes anyway from this
> same provider?  And why would we even want to take full routes?  It is true
> that, despite the gracious gift of the two DS3 circuits, we don't have much
> money to buy a router and so we want to find our what Cisco part numbers
> are needed for whichever model will support two DS3/T3 and one or two
> 100base ethernet connections into our internal IP space.
>

> Thanks again, and may God bless you all in many rich ways :-)
>
> Your most thankful and humble servant before God,
>
> Mary Grace

The main reason you would want full routes in such a situation would be in
the event that one of your upstream vendor routers was isolated from the rest
of the Internet but still able to announce a default route to you.

The likelyhood of such an occurance is small, and if the decision to be made
on the router chosen is based on BGP table size, I would recommend going with
default routes. Frankly, what is likely going to be the deciding factor for
you is what router model can handle 2 T3's and 2 100Mb Fast Ethernet
connections. Assuming that you won't need to really saturate those connections,
a 3600 should suffice. I am not completely familiar with the network module
options of a 4500/4700, but they should do fine if they support the network
interfaces that you have laid out. If you are expecting significant growth
and/or the actual need of being able to utilize the full capabilities of
two T3's and one or two Fast Ethernet connections, I would recommend a
7200. The 3600s and 7200s can be fairly cheaply upgraded to 256Mb of RAM.
If you decide to go with full Internet routes, I would not recommend doing
it on a platform that supports only 128Mb of RAM.