[nsp] Ip address on interface

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Wed Mar 5 08:26:37 EST 2003

Because in the first instance, with a mask of 255.255.255.0 the xx.xx.xx.0
and xx.xx.xx.255 addresses are reserved, the first for the subnet
identifier, and hte last as the broadcast.  In your second example with a
mask of 255.255.0.0 the xx.xx.0.0 and xx.xx.255.255 addresses are reserved
for the same reasons, the .0.0 being the subnet identifier, and the
.255.255 being the broadcast address.

All bits as 0's in the host portion identify the subnet, all 1's in the
host portion identifies the broadcast address.  They aren't available for
assignment as regular IP addresses because they are reserved for these
special uses.

--On Wednesday, March 05, 2003 5:17 PM +0100 Roberto Paoletti