[nsp] ip load-sharing per-packet - cef accelerated ?

Dan Hollis goemon at anime.net
Mon Mar 10 16:06:45 EST 2003

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, Rob Thomas wrote:
> ] My understanding is that 'ip load-sharing per-packet' is CEF accelerated,
> ] yes?
> No.  It is per packet load balancing instead of per flow load balancing.
> This puts quite a bit of additional load on the router, and may result
> in out of order packets arriving at the destination.  I recommend
> against it.

Are you sure per-packet isn't CEF accelerated?

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121cgcr/switch_c/xcprt2/xcdcefc.htm

Why would it put additional load on the router? Every packet does a CEF
lookup anyway, yes?

Has anyone on this list actually done an analysis of CPU usage for CEF
per-packet vs CEF per-destination?

-Dan
--
[-] Omae no subete no kichi wa ore no mono da. [-]