[nsp] ip load-sharing per-packet - cef accelerated ?

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Tue Mar 11 10:05:27 EST 2003

> > Every reference I have indicates cisco HDLC is simpler than PPP and thus
> > has less overhead. cisco HDLC has no LCP for example.
>
> Link setup negotiation is much more complex in PPP, this is true (as HDLC
> has no negotiation).
>
> Data transfer overhead and CPU load is very similar.

Yup. So once the link is up, there is no reason to believe that PPP
has more overhead.

We still run Cisco HDLC on most links here, but we may at some point
in the future switch to PPP. Mostly because there are more features
available, and all the development seems to be in the PPP area. See
the message from Aaron Leonard included below.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no