[nsp] PPPoE xDSL Termination Benefits? (was Total PVC's per router ..)

Rubens Kuhl Jr. rkjnsp at ieg.com.br
Wed Mar 12 02:55:22 EST 2003

I see  benefits on using PPPoX; wether to use PPPoE or PPPoA over an ATM
infrastructure is another issue.

- With PPPoX you have signalling; you know somewhat quicly (keepalive
interval) wether it's up or it's down, in order for activating a
dial-backup, paging someone or any other recovery effort one's find
appropriate.
- With PPPoX you have an username/password, so personalized services can be
provided on the same circuit.
- With PPPoX you have authentication, a requirement if you don't own the DSL
gear or don't trust your provisioning process.
- PPPoX fits better a mixed-media ISP that provides dial, cable and xDSL .

Rubens Kuhl Jr.