[nsp] Catalyst 4507R LAN Edge Routing (BGP)

sh shmapty at foureleven.org
Wed Mar 19 07:53:05 EST 2003

The Cat6K appears to serve many ISP/NSP and production data centers
quite well as a mixed layer2/3 device.  Because of cost, as well as
the benefits of the Supervisor IV (4507) over a minimally equipped
Supervisor II (65xx), we are considering deploying a series of 4507R
on our LAN edge.

Does anybody have field experience (or 2nd-hand experience) with
deploying the 450x in a similar role?  In particular I am curious
if the layer3 performance/maturity is as good as the 65xx in a
similar configuration with BGP.

Our environment requires BGPv4 (so we'll need the separate InterDomain
routing license), GigE EtherChannel, and a significant number of
layer3/4 ACLs, and VLANs.

Thanks.