[nsp] bstun & async

Tomas Daniska tomas at tronet.com
Wed Mar 19 19:05:01 EST 2003

first,  'normal' telnet does not allow for transfer of special
characters etc.; there are, however, some extensions (see rfc2217) -
they call them 'com port control' that allow for what you need. cisco
supports this for ages but i'm not aware if it might be initialized from
commandline

second, cisco allows several kinds of reverse telnet - it depends on
what tcp port range you use (i.e. 2xxx, 4xxx etc.). 2xxx runs telnet
protocol, 4xxx is pure tcp stream. try playing with autocommand telnet
using the 4xxx port range

third, if you don't neccessarily need tcp then use udptn (autocommand
udptn....) - it does not stall in case some packets are lost. of course
this way you need to have reliability solved within your applications...
udptn also is compatible with lantronix boxes

fourth, there are a few products that emulate com ports on windows and
are able to reap from the rfc2217 extensions, like dialout/ez (please
note that dialout/ip does not support this) from tactical software. they
allow for full transport of hardware flowcontrol etc.

i have very good experience with dialout/ez and cisco terminal servers,
at loads of customers. they use everything from [xyz]modem to
proprietary apps that never had been designed for wan use, without any
problems

hth

--

deejay