[nsp] adding another class C network switched by 3524XL

Dave [Hawk-Systems] dave at hawk-systems.com
Mon Mar 31 00:28:57 EST 2003

Currently have a Class C(XXX.XXX.XXX.0/24) with .1 as the network gateway going
out port eth0 on the 3524XL switch which is received by datacenter
equipment(router or switch, who knows) which has the class C mapped and
advertised to the net and so forth.  Simple setup from our end, just plug in the
.1 as the gateway and the switch takes care of the rest.

With a recent takeover we are having to drop some systems from another company
into the same rack for a period of time while we move over services and sites
etc...  They are currently served on a different class C(YYY.YYY.YYY.0/24) and
similarly use .4 as the gateway (which was a linux router box of some sort where
the class C was advertised to from their ISP uplink).

Since the datacenter we host our equipment in applies the gateway IP for our
current block to their end, we just route to it via eth0...  I am assuming that
to serve the second class C we just have the datacenter advertise the
YYY.YYY.YYY.4 address on the same interface on their end along with the
XXX.XXX.XXX.1 address, and we just have each server use the appropriate gateway
address, and the switch will route everything out the eth0 port once it leans
that both gateway IP addresses are there?

No fancy VLANs or anything...  just basic switching.

Does that figure correctly?
Since the switch uses .1 as its default gateway, does an extra entry need to be
made there for any reason, or is that just for the switches knowledge if you try
accessing outside resources from the switch.

Insight appreciated.  Config (yes it is really that bare) is below if needed.

Dave

---beging cisco 3524XL config---
version 12.0
no service pad
service timestamps debug datetime msec localtime show-timezone
service timestamps log datetime msec localtime show-timezone
service password-encryption
!
hostname sw0
!
enable password 7 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
!
username admin password 7 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
!
!
!
!