[nsp] Bandwidth Cap Question

Dan Armstrong dan at beanfield.com
Mon Mar 31 08:20:16 EST 2003

>From what I have seen, CAR seems to work well if you have 1 "flow".  If you are trying to choke a port, it
could conceivably have a whole network of flows behind it.

Here is was I think, please correct me if I am wrong.

With CAR, ie choking at layer3, the router drops packets that exceed the rate limit WITHOUT sending back an
ICMP source-quench.  You then rely on the stack of the sending application to realize that packet did not
arrive, and re-transmit.  Eventually, the sliding window will reach an equalibrium, and the flow will go
through at the specified rate.

Now, what if there are say 50 individuals ie 50 individual IP stacks all doing the same thing, for relativley
short periods of time, like say surfing the web?  TCP will never have a chance to stabilize, and you will be
putting a huge amount of extra traffic through your edge/access network that just gets dropped at the first
router that is doing CAR....

?

Dan.