[nsp] adding another class C network switched by 3524XL

Niels Bakker niels=cisco-nsp at bakker.net
Mon Mar 31 17:10:22 EST 2003

* brianj at nvc.net (Brian Johnson) [Mon 31 Mar 2003, 16:43 CEST]:
> If one were to install a L3 or L4 switch and had multiple logical IP
> segments on the same Physical Segment, would the switch then become the
> default gateway and actually separate the logical segments into physical
> segments?

I don't expect load balancers to turn into cable monkeys.

A Foundry router would do this if you enable automatic subnet VLANs (I
forgot the exact term; sorry) over port-based or protocol-based VLANs.
I'm not aware of any cisco switch having a similar feature, but I never
researched it.

Otherwise, it depends on how you configure VLANs the ports are in.
There is no yes/no answer to your question as it's currently posed.

	-- Niels.