[nsp] Cisco NAT quandary

rpcbind at speakeasy.net rpcbind at speakeasy.net
Thu May 1 21:33:33 EDT 2003

> Is there any way to have two different classes of NAT, or are there
> any features in IOS other than NAT for remapping ports from one IP
> address to another like this?

Learned a hack around this from the list -- add a static host route for each
of the inbound nats pointing to your next-hop. Inbound will still work, as the
NAT process will happen on input, and the static will push the outbound packet
far enough out in the switching path that it can finds its way back in...

I wish the present handling of this edge case was considered a bug (along w/
similar behavoir in IOS SLB), but the TAC seems to be content as-is...