[nsp] HSRP protocol extensions?

Ed Ravin eravin at panix.com
Tue May 13 19:45:24 EDT 2003

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 05:47:40PM +0200, PONDEMER Nicolas wrote:
> we saw with a sniffer the "3"  strange Cisco HSRP opcode (not in RFC 2281)
> in a network.

If you ask your Cisco router - by doing "debug standby" - it seems to
identify those packets as "Redirect advertisements".  I've asked about
this previously, and never got any response.  It looks like Cisco has
extended the protocol since RFC-2281.  I discovered this when I upgraded
to 12.2 - my 12.0 routers began complaining about a "malformed packet"
for all the opcode 3 packets.  I haven't found any documentation
on it other than what "debug standby" told me.

If anyone knows more, or can point to any published specs on Cisco's
site, I'm quite curious also.

	-- Ed