[nsp] 7200 NPE-G1 and GE performance

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu May 15 11:45:30 EDT 2003

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 03:18:07PM +0200, Spin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> all we know Cisco 7200 VXR has a 1,2Gbps backplane. This mean a serious
> limit for PA-GE adapters deployment on this platform. My question is if
> the new NPE-G1 overcome this limit. But from what i understand the 3 GE
> interface on the NPE processor board are not limited of that backplane
> bandwidth not using backplane at all, am i right? And if i'm right what
> performance limit I can expect moving traffic across GE interfaces on
> the NPE-G1 board?

	You should expect to be able to run all three GE interfaces at
about 50% with no problems.  I was moving slightly more than
800m on two of the GE interfaces during the beta with no problem.
That was roughly full-duplex 800m.

	It did cause the CPU to be fairly high as it's a central cpu
platform, but that should be expected.

	- jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net