[nsp] 7304 IS-IS get stuck after a certain time

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Mon May 19 15:51:34 EDT 2003

On Mon, 19 May 2003, Cor van Rij wrote:

> we have a 7304 (with dial NSE-100) in the network that is continuously
> causing problems. The router is running 12.2(11) YZ1 and is functioning as
> edge LSR. After a certain amount of time we see that the IS-IS adjacencies
> get lost and BGP peers goes down. According to the cisco the initial issue
> was due to the fact that the 7304 had a hardware limitation and the MTU on
> both GEs needed to be the same. Last Friday this was fixed in the config but
> after 36 hours IS-IS got stuck again.
>
> A search on CCO revelaed no open bugs. Does any one have experience with the
> 7304, did anyone observe this behaviour on a 7304?

We have had several cases logged with Cisco regarding 7304, and one of the
problems was ISIS related.

Personally I'd say that the 7304 is nowhere near ISP grade at the moment.
For instance, we cannot take on a full bgp table with 256 meg ram, we need
512 meg. We've had memory fragmentation issues, QoS issues, ISIS issues.
Some of the issues caused the router to freeze and had to be power cycled
after inputting a QoS related command.

We're currently running a special compile of 12.0(14)SZ.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se