[nsp] Is good to buy cisco refurbished equipment?

Neil J. McRae neil at COLT.NET
Wed May 21 09:10:29 EDT 2003

IANAL but:

> Good question.  I have no idea.
>
> The thing is that *in the EU*, a vendor can not prevent
> re-sale of software licenses.
>
> That is: if you *sell* a software, the receiver *owns* it, and can
> re-sell it to third parties (assuming that he doesn't keep
> local copies,
> of course).  If you want to avoid that, you can lease the
> software, but
> this opens up lots of interesting liability clauses for the vendors
> (they actually have to make sure that it works).

We looked into this and found that you would have to buy new
IOS licences if you buy second hand equipment anywhere. Anyone
considering it, I'd strongly advise taking some legal advice
before doing so.

Regards,
Neil.