[nsp] vlans and VTP

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Wed May 28 15:00:00 EDT 2003

On Wed, 28 May 2003, Stephen J. Wilcox wrote:

> VTP is useful, save a lot of vlan config but as you say beware the config
> number, this isnt a problem if you config your switches carefully and use a
> domain and password.

So a password will keep an accidental switch (that happened to have the
same domain) from wiping things out, but what happens when the VTP server
goes down or dies and is replaced?

> You must have the vlan configured on all switches for traffic to pass, I'm
> guessing you didnt initally hence the vlan wasnt allowed thro but when you
> changed the vtp settings the vlan was created.

Initially, 3550b was the VTP server, and 3550a was a VTP client...so I
expected defining vlan 101 on 3550b would be sufficient...but for some
reason it wasn't.

> Not sure on your layout, depends on your needs altho sw1 and sw2 seem to
> not be doing anything useful..

sw1 and sw2 are intended to connect the routers to a collection of
switch3's.  When/if traffic dictates, the router ethernet interfaces will
be upgraded to gigE and sw1 and 2 will be swapped out for gigE switches
with gigE connections to the collection of switch3's.