[nsp] vlans and VTP

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at telecomplete.co.uk
Wed May 28 21:27:09 EDT 2003

On Wed, 28 May 2003 rpcbind at speakeasy.net wrote:

> > So a password will keep an accidental switch (that happened to have the
> > same domain) from wiping things out, but what happens when the VTP server
> > goes down or dies and is replaced?
>
> This is why the 'switch w/ higher vtp revision' is a problem -- there is no
> single root vtp server. Instead, each server has a copy of the database and
> when updates are made, it bumps the revision and the other servers grab it.
> (ie. you can make vlan database changes on _any_ vtp server and the changes
> will be replicated across the domain).
>
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk689/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094c52.shtml#vtp_mode

I've only fallen foul of this once, it was a while back and if I'd rtfm it
wouldnt have happened ;)

Not convinced on the 'problem' tho...

I personally quite like the vlan replication features that vtp brings, its
difficult to do what you say above, you have to connect a switch which by
default will be in server mode but with a different domain & password so thats
not a problem and in a production environment your config revision should be
reasonably high enough that any new swtich (which we assume has just been
powered up) isnt going to find a conflict.

Steve