[nsp] interesting "|include regexp" behaviour

Mark E. Mallett mem at mv.mv.com
Wed May 28 20:25:07 EDT 2003

Probably everybody knows this already, but what the heck..

I was attempting to do something like:

  show ip bgp regexp ^32765_|include ^\*>

on a 7200 (Version 12.1(5)T12) to find all selected routes for a
particular neighbor.  No matter what regexp I tried, all routes were
shown.  Even with something like

  show ip bgp regexp ^32765_|include blahblahblah

Evidently you can't use "include regexp" along with "show ip bgp
regexp" -- I'm guessing that the compilation of the regexp uses static
context and the compilation of one overrides the other.

It was easy enough to do e.g.:

  show ip bgp | include ^\*>.*( 32765 )

once I knew it was necessary.  However I couldn't easily find anything
that documented that you couldn't use "|include" with "show ip bgp
regexp" -- not to mention the fact that the command is accepted.

Just musing-
mm