[nsp] GigaBit Ethernet on a 7507

Streiner, Justin streiner at stargate.net
Tue Nov 11 11:29:35 EST 2003

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Ernest Altbart wrote:

> is installing a GEIP in a 7507 the only way to make that router Gigabit
> Ethernet capable ? If yes, does anyone have experience with it (I
> presume yes) ? And if so where you encountering problems with specific
> IOS releases ?

Yes, a GEIP/GEIP+ is needed to do gig-e on a 7500.  I don't how much
throughput you can reasonably expect.  That depends on everything form
what type of RSP you have to what version of IOS you're running.
As far as I know the VIPs will not recognize the PA-GE.

> And related to that: Does the GEIP support ZX (up to 130km) GBICs ? And
> has anyone experience with ZX GBICs over a distance of 20km ? (Is an
> attentuator needed ?)

According to the CCO, ZX GBICs are supported in a GEIP.  I've never tried
it myself, though.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2033/products_data_sheet09186a0080091ce7.html

The ZX spec calls for a link power budget of 23 dB over 9 or 10mm
single-mode fiber I believe.  20 km may provide enough attenuation to keep
the ZX GBIC's receive optics from getting overloaded.  You should probably
check the link power budget numbers for the fiber span you plan to light
up beforehand.  If you have access to a fiber test set/OTDR, you can see
where the splices and cross-connects are because you'll see some signal
loss at each point.

jms