[nsp] 127.0.0.0/8 unroutable?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Nov 11 15:31:04 EST 2003

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 10:56:06AM +0200, Hank Nussbacher wrote:
> Something magical that 127.0.0.0/8 can't be statically routed?

It's in a couple of non-obvious ways special to Cisco boxes.  I didn't
know about the non-routeability, but I can say for sure that it makes
weird access-list entries (packets sourced from 127.0.0.1 that get
denied in ACLs will make completely different log entries than packets
sourced from non-127/8-IPs - at least in 12.0, and AFAIR as well on
12.0S).

There's some backing to it, though.  Either the host or router
requirements RFC (forgot which one) states absolutely clearly that
these addresses MUST NOT appear on the wire.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de