[nsp] EIGRP next hop

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sun Nov 16 12:40:18 EST 2003

Hi,

On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 12:20:29AM -0700, james wrote:
> I have a router from which I wish to inject /32's into
> EIGRP for which the next hop is advertised as either Null
> or a certain IP I have set to Null on all routers. I am
> not finding a way to do this with "?" or at CCO.

If I'm not mistaken (disclaimer: I'm sitting in a train and can't
validate that) EIGRP doesn't transport next-hop information.  Being a
distance-vector protocol (on steroids) it only tells you which neighbors
have the prefix available, at what relative cost, but not the ultimate
destination.

On the other hand, it might be able to trick EIGRP into carrying "other"
information, like tags, that could be used for filtering.

For a straightforward way to advertise arbitrary next-hop information,
go for (i)BGP.

gert
--
Gert Doering
Mobile communications ... right now writing from * ICE 1611 Berlin -> MUC *