[nsp] eBGP routes not balancing

Jeff Chan cisco-nsp at jeffchan.com
Mon Nov 17 03:54:50 EST 2003

On Monday, November 17, 2003, 12:09:55 AM, Michael Loftis wrote:
> Indeed BGP does select oldest-route when everything else is equal.  I don't
> know that router IDs even come into play anymore.  Quagga/Zebra have this
> behavior as well.

> If you want to prefer one peer over the other you'll have to route-map with
> some lower-local prefs on the lesser preferred peer.  I'd think if you
> wanted there are hardware/software products that work in place of your
> router to more automate this task of traffic engineering but I don't have
> any I'd recommend.

Thanks for the info Michael.  Would resetting both sessions
simultaneously kind of statistically even out the ages of the
routes and thereby balance the traffic?  Of course that wouldn't
help if one session had to be reset or had an outage, which would
result in one set being older again...

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan