[nsp] eBGP routes not balancing

Jeff Chan cisco-nsp at jeffchan.com
Mon Nov 17 17:09:11 EST 2003

After enabling "bgp bestpath compare-routerid" and resetting the
sessions, most of the traffic went to the peer with the lower
numerical address (ID), which again is unbalanced.  So I've
disabled compare-routerid and will probably reset all the
sessions late at night with "clear ip bgp all" in the hopes
that the ages of the routes will then be close enough, since
they're all cleared and re-learned at the same time, to
result in traffic that is closer to balanced.

Both providers are large, our pipes to them and routing tables
learned similar sized, so balanced traffic should be a
reasonable goal.  Any other suggestions are welcomed.  Aside
from external route servers, how is anyone else dealing with
this?  Balancing fully multi-homed traffic must be an issue
for lots of folks....    Why can't IOS just do the right thing?
:P

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan