[nsp] Stupid QoS Tricks

Christopher J. Wolff chris at bblabs.com
Mon Nov 17 18:22:46 EST 2003

Here's a scenario I could use some guidance on.  I've read quite a bit on
Cisco's site but didn't find a direct correlation.  So here goes.

Customer has a DS3, of which 4 meg is provisioned for data.  Now customer
wants to add VOIP services.

Assumptions:

- The customers' 4 meg is rate-limited by service policies / policing.
- The 4 meg circuit is generally saturated since it is a wi-fi free-for-all
environment.
- There is no VLAN capability on the customer LAN.

My initial thought was to apply an ip rtp reserve to the customer interface,
which I did.  However it seems like there should be a better method to
guarantee voice traffic while maintaining the customers' data 'partition'.
Thank you in advance for your advice.

Regards,
Christopher J. Wolff, VP, CIO
Broadband Laboratories