[[nsp] Cisco/Router Management Tool]

joshua sahala joshua.ej.smith at usa.net
Tue Nov 25 16:06:31 EST 2003

Chris Bissell <cbissell at frii.com> wrote:

> 	I was wondering if a tool had been already created that did the
> following.  It would be nice if we could have a daemon running on one of
> our management servers that kept a ssh/telnet connection open to the
> majority of our routers (currently Cisco, but a few other brands as
> well).  You could have users send commands to this daemon which would
> then send the command to the router and reply back with the output,
> using any authentication scheme you wrote into the daemon.
> 	The reason for this is as follows, we could use this program to
> repeatedly run certain commands from a script for troubleshooting
> purposes (for things that you can't get via SNMP).  Since the
> connection to the router is kept open, you could then reduce the
> overhead connection setup and teardown.  We could also, through a bit
> of coding create a way for low privilege techs to access particular
> commands without having to know the passwords to the router. (I know
> that can also be accomplished a few different ways with TACACS+ and
> privilege levels as well).  Does anybody know of a tool that
> accomplishes this?
> 	I could see a tool like this being the only way the majority of
> people would access the routers, which would give us full flexibility
> to write dynamic access rules and such.  We run mostly FreeBSD here so
> a tool that worked on that system would be easiest, but any platform
> would do.

in the ports - net/rancid (i seem to be the rancid evangelist today ;) )

it comes with a modified version of the digex looking glass code.  you
can then use cvs-web (devel/cvsweb) to provide a web frontend to the
rancid cvs files (handy for reivewing change trends/etc, or for learning)

another looking glass that seems very kewl is version6.net's -
(www.version6.net)

or check out traceroute.org for even more - the cistron code is nice
(based on the digex code too), as are some of the others ;)

hth

/joshua