[nsp] 2621 VPN mb/s w/wo AIM

Tim D. zsolutions at cogeco.ca
Fri Nov 28 18:35:04 EST 2003

Hello,

I was wondering what kind of mb/s speeds I could expect using 3DES in both
software mode, and with the AIM VPN accelerator card installed, on a 2621.
So far I have found I can only get .5mb/s using software.  Does this sound
off to anyone?

Here is the situation:  I have a 10M internet link, which I would like to do
a VPN over and get as much throughput as I can (8M +- would be ideal) using
2621's.  I can put a VPN accelerator card in both routers if I need to, but
so far using software I am getting very piss poor results (.5mb/s as I
said).  My configuration looks fine (pretty basic VPN configuration), I'm
using IOS12.2(5)d on both routers.

So my question is, what kind of throughput can I expect using 3des software
encryption on a 2621?  Hardware 3des?

Thanks,

Tim