[nsp] Redistributing static subnets via separate OSPF process

Christopher McCrory chrismcc at pricegrabber.com
Sun Oct 5 15:53:47 EDT 2003

Hello...

On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 12:13, Robert A. Hayden wrote:
> I am trying to redistribute one OSPF process (#15) into another one
> (#10). In theory, process 15 only announces a couple routes via
> redistributing static routes.  Process 10 is announced to our backbone. By
> putting statics on a separate process, I can use an outbound distribute
> lists and the like to handle things without affecting the main process.
> The relevant configuration is below.
>
> Why wouldn't this work?  I can use the same basic OSPF setup with separate
> OSPF processes for non-static routes, but it breaks for static ones.
>
> This is on a pair of 6513s with a Sup2/MSFC2.  In this example, I'm
> routing a /30 and a /24 to a downstream 2501 that has a T1 and a remote
> LAN on it.
>
> Any thoughts?  I have got to be missing something really freakin' obvious.
>
> - Robert
>
> -----
>
> (PRIMARY Router - HSRP backup is pretty much the same)
>
> router ospf 10
>  router-id 172.16.0.1
>  log-adjacency-changes
>  redistribute ospf 15 subnets
>  redistribute rip subnets
>  passive-interface default
>  no passive-interface Vlan602
>   ...various non-passive interfaces defined...
>  network 10.10.10.0 0.0.0.255 area 0
>   ...various networks to announce into OSPF defined...
>
> router ospf 15
>  redistribute static subnets
>   [outbound distribute list would go here, once it was working]
>
> interface Vlan730
>  description HappyFunLAN
>  ip address 10.40.0.3 255.255.255.0 secondary
>  ip address 10.40.1.3 255.255.254.0
>  ip verify unicast source reachable-via rx allow-self-ping
>  no ip redirects
>  no ip unreachables
>  no ip proxy-arp
>  ip pim sparse-mode
>  ip route-cache same-interface
>  standby ip 10.40.1.1
>  standby ip 10.40.0.3 secondary
>  standby priority 100
>  standby preempt
>  standby authentication foo
>
> ip route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.252 10.40.1.30
> ip route 192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0 10.40.1.30

1: Unless I'm missing something, these overlap (/24 and /23 subnets).
>  ip address 10.40.0.3 255.255.255.0 secondary
>  ip address 10.40.1.3 255.255.254.0
                                        ^^^

2:  Something that you would never see from looking at the configuration
if you are using OSPF authentication.  I ran into this on my 7206's  ver
12.0(22)S w/ OSPF.

 ip ospf authentication
 ip ospf authentication-key 7 XXXXXXXXXXXX

is not the same as
 ip ospf authentication
 ip ospf authentication-key 7 XXXXXXXXXXXX

See the difference? neither did I.

the latter has spaces at the end.

Your config does not show auth, but the same bug might show up in
another OSPF config option.  IIRC, I found the problem by doing a diff
of an older config on my tftp server which showed the two lines as
different.