[nsp] HSRP standby ip on a different subnet as interface subnet, is that possible?

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at telecomplete.co.uk
Sun Oct 12 09:02:15 EDT 2003

Hi Marcelo,
 I'm a bit confused as to what your trying to do.. but if I understand correctly
you want to run HSRP on a /30.

I believe you need to configure a permanent IP address on each router for this
to work, this would require a minimum of 4 IPs (r1, r2, hsrp, cust) and
therefore would need a /29. You cant specify the netmask on the standby command
and this is obtained from the permanent IP config on the interface.

Steve