[nsp] DSL aggregation

Streiner, Justin streiner at stargate.net
Mon Oct 13 13:46:34 EDT 2003

We currently have about 4,000 DSL subs (2,500 bridged and 1,500 PPPoE)
that we need to move off of the boxes they're on now.  The boxes are a
Redback SMS1800 and a Cisco 6400 UAC.  I'd like to combine these onto a
7206VXR with an NPE-400 w/256 MB RAM and 3 PA-A3-T3s.  If need be, I
_may_ be able to upgrade to an NPE-G1.  This is to handle service
provided by 3 different DSL carriers.  The router would only be used to
aggregate these DSL services.  It would participate in our OSPF network
and be a BGP route-reflector client.

For the most part, the bridged customers are on a relatively small number
of PVCs.  Two of the telcos create one PVC per wire center and another
creates one PVC per some unknown quantity, but it's definitely not one PVC
per user.

I won't ask if this configuration will support this number of users
because I know there are too many other variables to make a good call on
this ;-)

My questions are:
1) Is anyone running a similar configuration right now, and if so, what
	have your experiences been with it?  What do you anticipate being
	able to scale to in terms of number of users in your current
	platform?
2) Even though the number of PVCs is relatively low - less than 100 per
	DS3, do I need to be concerned with the VC or other limits in the
	PA-A3 series cards, such as the number of simultaneous SARs?

Thanks
jms