[RE: [nsp] High CPU on 2600]

joshua sahala joshua.ej.smith at usa.net
Thu Oct 23 11:23:06 EDT 2003

"Voll, Scott" <Scott.Voll at wesd.org> wrote:

> Have you looked at how much ICMP traffic your getting on the box?  We
> had routers dieing with all the ICMP traffic the viruses were putting
> out.
>
> On the Sh Proccess CPU see what your  IP Input looks like.  If it seems
> really high block ICMP and log it and see if that's your problem.

if your cpu is already high, DO NOT log, you might kill the router...that
being said, block/police icmp and see if that helps (you will see your
acl counters incrementing at a crazy rate if you have worms).  turn off
any services you don't need, make sure cef is on, try getting some small
netflow samples (or a 'sho ip traf' to get an idea of what is moving
through the router - netflow also helps identify which users have worms),
acl traffic to the router.

of course, do these things one at a time, and watch your traffic/cpu
carefully

/joshua

ps - joel, are you coming to the sflnog meeting on the 5th?