[nsp] tcp small servers not small enough

Ed Ravin eravin at panix.com
Tue Oct 28 13:30:03 EST 2003

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 07:52:16AM -0800, Hudson Delbert J Contr 61 CS/SCBN wrote:
> CORRECT. JUST BLOCK ACCESS TO TCP PORTS 13 & 19 IN ANY DIRECTIONS IF YOU
> WANT TO HAVE THIS SERVICE
> TRUNED ON. OR TRUN IT OFF COMPLETELY. ECHO AND DISCARD REALLY SERVE NO REAL
> PURPOSE TODAY.
> ANYWAY, WHY DO YOU WANT THEM ON

The router in question is living on a network where the local
administration has banned all ICMP until they can figure out a
way to keep their Riverstone gear from falling over from Nachi
worm traffic.  Actually, they have figured out a way, it involved
sending purchase orders to Cisco :-).  In the meantime, I wanted
my Smokeping installation to be able to monitor the router, and the
only easy option was TCP port 7.