[nsp] Dynamic Per-MAC rate-limiting or QoS

Robert A. Hayden rhayden at geek.net
Thu Oct 30 16:16:31 EST 2003

Hey all,

I have an interesting one an could use some thoughts on good approaches
here.

I have a large ethernet-based network and I would like to be able to put
some kind of a policy on to an edge switch (generally 3550s or 3750s) to
state that no single MAC address can exceed "x" bits/second unless an
exception is put into place.

Failing that, a layer-2 MAC-based QoS implementation that will mark all
traffic in excess of 'x' as low priority.

What I'm seeing is a growing proliferation of gigabit-ethernet connected
workstations on the backbone.  Invariably, one of those boxes is
compromised with Blaster or nachia or whatever the word-du-jour is and
starts barfing out 700mb/s of crap, quickly saturating a gigabit backbone
link.  Even worse, often times it's an academic computer lab with a
ghosted image, so you end up with 20 or 40 gig-connected machines making
things difficult.

Oftentimes, these machines actually don't need to talk gigabit, but all of
Dell's workstations come with those NICs so people feel they just HAVE to
support it and I'm stuck with the headaches when their viruses get
cranking.

Has anybody worked with edge-based policies to address these situations on
these product lines?  Any configuation examples?

- Robert