[nsp] HELP! I need some ideas. OSPF + HSRP

Jim Devane jim at powerpulse.cc
Fri Oct 31 16:51:08 EST 2003

Hello all,

I am stuck and need some ideas.

I have 2 routers connected together by gig-E and a /30 between them

I have a switch that plugs into both routers by gig-E as well

I also have 2 PIX plugged into the switch as well and a /29 that each of the
routers and the PIX share.

I am running HSRP between the routers making a gateway for the PIX.

All is happy.

rtrA - - - - - - - - - - - rtr b  ( static route of /24 pointing to PIX A)

    \                        /

            switch

           /        \

        /              \

PIX A                PIX B

All goes unhappy when HSRP failover occurs.

One of the routers has a static route pointing to a network behind the PIX.

My problem is this.because the routers are OSPF neighbors and I have
"redistr conn sub" and "redistr static sub" on both of them when the link
from rtr B is broken, rtr B can still reach the next hop of the static ( the
PIX )  and it does not pull the static out of the routing table. Rtr A still
hears the advert and sends the traffic to rtr B. instant routing loop.

I cannot really do a static route on both of the routes since it will create
asymmetric traffic flows and I need for traffic to come in and out one port
to easily monitor and for billing.

I cannot take out redistr conn sub since the connected PIX will nto be
reachable past these two routers. Nor will a route-map work either.

Any suggestions on how to get the routing to fail over? ( besides not using
OSPF )

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

Jim

Configs:

Rtr A

Int f0/0

Ip addr 172.16.87.53 255.255.255.252

Standby 1 ip 172.16.87.49

Router ospf 1

Net 172.16.1.0 0.0.0.3 area 0

Redist static sub

Redistr con sub

Rtr B

Int f0/0

Ip addr 172.16.87.51 255.255.255.252

Standby 1 ip 172.16.87.49

Standby 1 priority 105

Standby 1 preempt

Router ospf 1

Net 172.16.1.0 0.0.0.3 area 0

Redist static sub

Redistr con sub

Ip route 192.168.68.1 255.255.255.0 172.16.87.50