[nsp] catalyst-netgear problems

Ralph Doncaster ralph at istop.com
Tue Sep 2 00:04:39 EDT 2003

I have a Catalyst 2924M running 12.0(5.2)XU.  One of my customers plugged
into the catalyst is running a Netgear FSM726S.  A couple months back, we
connected a 2nd port from our catalyst to the customer's netgear, using a
port that was on a different VLAN (I'm not running spanning-tree on the
Netgear).  My catalyst stopped passing traffic until I disconnected the
2nd connection.

Just this evg the customer's netgear (plugged into VLAN 1 on my catalyst)
caused my catalyst to stop passing traffic, even on other VLANs (I have 2
other VLANs on my catalyst).  The customer port still has link, but I'm
not receving any packets from them, so it looks like their Netgear has
died.  Even so it cause 3 interruptions in traffic on my catalyst over a
1hr period.  I've now shutdown the port to (hopefully) keep it from
happening again.

On the customer port my config is:
spanning-tree portfast
no cdp enable

I'm wondering if there is something wrong with my Catalyst and perhaps I
should replace it with a new one.

Ralph Doncaster, IStop.com president
6042147 Canada Inc.