[nsp] HSRP multicast & switch ports

Steve Francis steve at expertcity.com
Wed Sep 3 01:08:34 EDT 2003

John Wong, Kok Seng wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Sorry if this is an FAQ listed somewhere i couldn't find...
>
>How do we prevent HSRP multicasts (224.0.0.2) being flooded
>out ALL switch ports? We're running HSRP on Cat6500 MSFCs
>and we're seeing the HSRP multicast packets on all the ports
>in the HSRP VLAN connected to the switch.

You don't.  What if you attach a router that you want to participate in
the HSRP group to one of those switch ports? How would it know not to be
active w/o the multicasts?

Two packets per 5 seconds (default), to a multicast group ( so most
machines won't even get NIC interupts from them) is not something I'd
worry about.