[nsp] EtherChannel and a CAT 2924Xl

Rick G eklists at crtservices.net
Wed Sep 3 16:08:01 EDT 2003

> Hello all,
>
> We are looking for some direction and or real world experience on the
> following ..
>

> Core 7206VXR with 4 FastEther .. Two CAT 2924 switches ..
>
> We at this time have these Ethernet ports with primary and secondary IP
> space bound to them supplying various servers within our networks ...
>
> Of course this is BAD and we need to do something different if not for any
> reason but to lesson the broadcasts to the Ethernet interfaces because of
> all the IP subnets that are bound to them ..
>
> So what we need to do is build a Ether channel from the router to
> the CAT's
> ..
>
> 7206 with two FastEthernets bound together via Ether Channel to each CAT
> switch ..
>
> Once this is done we would build VLANS over these for each IP subnet and
> direct each to spec. ports on the CAT's ..
>
> Firstly is this the best way to handle this? .. Secondly How?

If I understand you correctly, we *tried* the exact same thing a few months
back.  Just to clarify, Cisco 7206 - 2 Fast Ethernet set as etherchannel
group on the 7200 with ISL connected to 2 Cat 2924 with a port from each Cat
in a port group for the ISL / VLAN group.  If so, it failed miserably.  The
Cat 2924 don't support port-groups across multiple switches.  We kept
getting duplicate MAC address errors, slow throughput, etc.  You can have
the Etherchannel on the 7206, but it needs to connect to single cat 2924 (if
you want a port group it needs to be 2 ports on the same switch).  Hopefully
this is helpful and I didn't just ramble for no reason.

We tried a few other combos and nothing really worked the way we wanted it
to.

Eric