[nsp] NAT spiking CPU

MPuras at solunet.com MPuras at solunet.com
Mon Sep 8 16:39:39 EDT 2003

If you know which user is infected then you can limit the number of NAT
translations by using the command:

ip nat translation max-entries host <ip-address> <max_entries>

If you are not sure, use netflow (show ip cache flow) and you would
typically many entries for a particular user as well as the destination
protocol being 1 indicating ICMP.

Which process is hugging the CPU?

I ran into a very similar issue the other day and NAT Translations were
causing my CPU to spike to 100% mainly because a lot of the traffic that was
being translated was being processed switch so that is why IP input was
peaked.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Mario Puras
SoluNet Technical Support
Mailto: mpuras at solunet.com
Direct: (321) 309-1410
888.449.5766 (USA) / 888.SOLUNET (Canada)