[nsp] NAT spiking CPU

Frank Maisano FrankM at netarch.com
Wed Sep 10 08:41:52 EDT 2003

I have recently been working on a problem where a router doing PAT was
showing 17000+ dynamic translations.  It would eventually run out of memory
and required a reboot.  I found that by changing the dynamic NAT TCP timeout
from the default of 24 hours to 2 hours, the router stays in operation and I
am not seeing memory problems.  I am still testing this but seems to be
working well.

If you are using PAT, the command is:

ip nat translation tcp-timeout 7200 <--this is seconds (2 hours shown here)

If you are NOT using PAT, the command is:

ip nat translation timeout <seconds>

More info here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_white_paper09186a00
80091cb9.shtml

Regards,

Frank Maisano, CCIE #12114              |           |
Consulting Engineer                     |           |
Network Architechs                     |||         |||
u: http://www.netarch.com            .|||||.     .|||||.
e:    frankm at netarch.com          .:|||||||||:.:|||||||||:.
p:         (505) 256.9047           Cisco Systems Partner
f:         (505) 256.9091             Silver Certified
"The mind has exactly the same power as the hands: not merely to
grasp the world, but to change it"  --Colin Wilson