[nsp] leaking vlans on a cat2950/cat6500-msfc2

Matt Stockdale mstockda at logicworks.net
Fri Sep 19 16:48:58 EDT 2003

Actually, as near as I can tell, vlan1 isn't involved..

Here's the setup. the msfc2 on the 6500 is one of our inbound gateways,
running BGP with our peers. It receives traffic for a network behind a
firewall, whose interface is on a class C (206.252.146.0/24) and vlan
(60) dedicated for router<->firewall communication. It says hey, look, I
have a static route for this netblock over a machine on vlan60, and I
also have a virtual interface on that vlan, so it sends the packets
there, over the vlan60 int. unicast, source MAC the msfc2, dest MAC the
hw address of the firewall's external interface. Yet, on other firewalls
on the network, connected to other 2950's (which are all trunked to a
switch w/ dot1q, but not always trunked to the 6500 in question), they
all see these packets. Bizzare. I think at least one of the 2950's is
under warranty, so I'm going to try and involve cisco.

Thanks,
  Matt