[nsp] remapping VLAN IDs between .1q trunk ports on the 3550?

Lars Erik Gullerud lerik at nolink.net
Mon Sep 22 14:37:22 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-09-21 at 00:06, Sean Mathias wrote:
> Well, I don't believe the 3550 has precisely what you are looking for.
> The best/closest it can offer from my understanding would be
> double-tagging in 802.1q tunneling.  I understand your dilemma and
> scenario, but this really is an access switch, not what I expect to be
> used as a PE/PE device.

This has little relation to the "PE/PE" device usage, what he is asking
for is a pretty simple VLAN-translation feature. And AFAIK, apart from
Cisco's "dot1q-to-ISL mapping", they have never offered a
VLAN-translation feature on ANY switch series, a feature which is
present in alot of vendors gear even down to the "access switch" range.

There are a lot of scenarios where one might want VLAN XX on one
trunk-port leaving as VLAN YY on another, without spaghetti-cabling
between N number of switches and ports manually to do "VLAN
cross-connects".

/leg