[nsp] How many vlans will a 7206 support on GigE or FE interfaces?

Eric Osborne eosborne at cisco.com
Mon Sep 22 14:40:26 EDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 11:56:42AM -0400, jlewis at lewis.org wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, Turpin Mark Contr AFCA/GCF wrote:
>
> > > How many vlans will a 7206 support on a GigE or FE interface?
> > >
> > > How many vlans will the router support in aggregate ?
> >
> > AFAIK, Vlans consume IDBs.
> >
> > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_tech_note09186a0080094322.shtml
>
> Can anyone explain why the 7200 platform gets 10000 IDBs in current IOS,
> but the 7500 (capable of holding alot more interfaces) only gets 2048?

Dennis or Siva are probably better suited to answer this, but AFAIK if
a platform has that many IDBs it's not to handle vlans or channels,
but dial-related ppp-terminating types of stuff, which about I do not
know much.

Also, standard cya disclaimer - just because the box can *take* 10,000
IDBs or 2048 or 8192 doesn't necessarily mean that it will do whatever
you want on every single subinterface.  But you knew that already,
right? :)

eric