[nsp] VIP processor utilization

Michael Costello mikeco at corp.ptd.net
Thu Sep 25 14:47:15 EDT 2003

I'm having a difficult time getting a straight answer from TAC; maybe
the community can help me out.

There is one router in our network running dCEF without any problems,
but I'm concerned about overloading the VIPs (they're VIP4-50s).  I know
how to gather statistics such as processor utilization from them, but
this information doesn't mean much to me.  I understand Rx-side
buffering and that a VIP running at 99% CPU utilization is ok, but how
do I know when I'm running them near capacity (analogous to the 70% CPU
threshold on a router) besides accumulating interface errors?

Michael Costello       costello at corp.ptd.net
Network Engineer                610-826-9457
PenTeleData LP1          www.penteledata.net