[nsp] another mindbender for you guys

Aaron Howell aaronh at amerion.net
Wed Sep 24 15:06:10 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 11:48, jlewis at lewis.org wrote:
> I vaguely remember running into something similar sounding.  When a
> previously unused serial interface (say on a PA-2T3 in a VIP2-50) in a
> 7500 is unshut, the VIP has to do some reallocation of buffers, which will
> result in the VIP appearing to lock up for some time (perhaps a minute or
> so).  It sounds like you've waited for it though, and it never comes back?

Yes, I've waited for it, up to ten  minutes, which I think was excessive if
it was simply trying to reallocate buffers and suchlike.  Also, I've
seen errors in the logs indicating that the VIP crashed (I keep leaving
out the important details, sorry), and the router is re-initializing all
of it's interfaces.  Sometimes it comes back on it's own after about 2-3
minutes, sometimes it requires a reboot.

> What if you 'copy tftp start' a config that has the interface not shut
> down and reload?  If it's a production router, that may be a little
> dangerous...but you could probably recover from it by removing the port
> and reloading again if the router boots and crashes/locks up.

I will put that in my list of things to try tonight if I can't find some
sort of solution today, it is a production router, so I can't take it
down (on purpose =P) during the day.  Thanks very much for your
suggestion.

Aaron Howell
--
Network/System Administrator