[nsp] Duplex issues with 4700

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Apr 1 16:23:32 EST 2004

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 04:05:46PM -0500, Krzysztof Adamski wrote:
> It's the "Unknown duplex" at the end of this:
> Ethernet0 is up, line protocol is up
[..]
>   Keepalive set (10 sec)
>   Unknown duplex
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well - most likely the (very recent) IOS wants to display something, but
has no driver support to ask the (very old) hardware...

> that has me concerned, I have already changed the cables and I'm seeing a
> 1 to 3% loss on 1000 pings.

That's too much.  If there is no other traffic on the wire that might
cause multiple collisions and packet drops, you should not see more than 1
packet lost (the first, if any).

My 4700 with NP-6E does also print "Unknown duplex", but pings perfectly
clean:

Sending 1000, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 195.30.0.126, timeout is 2 seconds:
Success rate is 100 percent (1000/1000), round-trip min/avg/max = 1/6/332 ms

(there is some other stuff going on in this network, so the high max RTT
is not something I seriously worry about)

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de