[nsp] ospf default routes and bgp injection

Mark Tinka mtinka at africaonline.co.sz
Wed Apr 7 05:05:21 EDT 2004

cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net wrote:
> Nick,
>
> I think it really depends on what you want to achieve and wich IGP
> you're using. As general arguments:
>
> 1) customer routes in IGP don't scale. While OSPF/ISIS on modern
> platforms (RISC CPU's) works just fine with 5000+ routes in your IGP,
> scaling to 10000 and above might be a challenge

As Nick mentioned, using OSPF to carry your infrastructure networks
(Loopback interface IP's mostly) and using iBGP to carry your internal and
customer prefixes is quite a scalable approach.

Nick (sorry to post this in Oliver's thread), you're right. I don't think I
have seen a supporting document anywhere yet (there could be, though), but
this is something that has been presented and agreed on multiple operators
forums and seminars that I've been a part of.

It scales quite well and offers more features in terms of filtering,
flexibility and all. Just FYI, this is how I run my backbone.