[nsp] DSL Architecture Question

james hackerwacker at cybermesa.com
Thu Apr 8 17:47:27 EDT 2004

> We are going to be deploying Cisco 6160 DSLAMs in C.O.'s that are located
> in another carriers LATA, the DSLAMS are ATM and backhulling the circuits
> back to our NOC is way to expensive. I had a thought about locating a
> router along side the dslam to terminate ATM, then we could run bundled
> T1's or DS3 from the router to a local provider and save a ton of $$. Is
> anyone doing this? Any thoughts or advice. Thanks in advance

That is the way we do it. The other option, hauling all the PVC's back, is
just too expensive.
We still backhaul on ATM, but it is just one PVC with a sufficient CBR. This
pushes the
aggregation out from the core router and makes the core easier to manage.

--
James H. Edwards
Routing and Security Administrator
jamesh at cybermesa.com